Home » » Why Should a Business Owner Create a Blog?

Why Should a Business Owner Create a Blog?

Written By Ayobami on Tuesday 2 February 2016 | 2:10:00 am

I work with a lot of busy business owners. I bet you are one of them if you are reading this article. I love to help business owners find the little things that make a big difference. In doing so, I often get in a conversation that goes like this.

Business Owner: "I really want more business. I put a webpage online, but no one sees it. I wish people could see my webpage more."

Me: "How about creating a blog?"

Business Owner: "I don't have time, besides, I'm not a writer and I wouldn't know what to say anyway."

Me: "If you want to be found online, you need to have something for your customers to find. A basic webpage is like a brochure. It just tells what you do. Adding a blog tells the customers that you have something to say and you know what you are
talking about. Besides, search engines, like Google, tend to notice webpages that have fresh content posted on their page. That is what a blog does"

It is at this point in the conversation when I put my 'teacher' hat on. I will save you the rest of my conversation and just put in some points to help you get a better understanding of how blogging can help your business get attention. And, if it is done right, it can be a great place to see growth in your traffic to your webpage.

1. Consumers look online before making a purchase.

Depending on the study, I have heard the figures from 89-96% of consumers will look online before buying a new product or working with a new business. Just think about your own life. When you need to buy something new, do you check online to see about getting the best deal?

Personally, I like to see consumer reports or reviews. I want to see how that product works and what I can expect. If I am new to a product, I will find an expert and see that they have to say about that product. Many times that expert is found in a blog post.

2. A blog show that you are an authority in your industry.

A blog shows that you know what you are talking about. Consumers want to do business with people they know, like and trust. When they see your blog and find relevant information, they get to know you from your writing. When they see that you know more than them, which you do, they learn to trust you. You literally become the 'go to' guy (or girl) for information on your product or service.

3. A blog is easier than you think

With today's technology, blogging is really easy. Most webpages have a built-in blog and there are even a lot of free blog platforms online like WordPress and Blogger. I suggest that business owners use a self-hosted WordPress for their webpage since it has a built-in blogging capabilities. The technology is as simple as using your basic word processing software.

4. You can write because you are an expert.

The simple fact that you own a business means that you know more than most people about your industry. That means that you are an expert. You know more about your business than anyone else in your company. You can leverage that knowledge to write simple informative articles that can become your blog. That is how you attract the consumer who wants to know more about your product or service.

5. You already have the ideas for your blog.

To start a blog, just think about the common questions people ask you about your business. You can probably come up with ten to twenty questions that people ask on a regular basis. All you do is answer the question, just like you would when talking to a customer, and create a blog on each of those question. If you don't think you write well, record yourself on your phone answering the question as if talking to a customer. You can upload the video and put that on your blog. Or, you can have someone transcribe that video or audio into text and post that on your blog. Like I said, with today's technology it is really easy.

SHARE

About Ayobami

0 comments :

Post a Comment